05/09/2016 Crimewatch


Crimewatch returns with new presenters and a new look. Jeremy Vine and Tina Daheley present the latest appeals, hoping viewers will help to crack some of the UK's biggest cases.

Similar Content

Browse content similar to 05/09/2016. Check below for episodes and series from the same categories and more!



The attempted abduction of a British serviceman.


I knew he was trying to drag me towards that open door and I knew


There'll always be something missing, and that something


I've been able to find their full name, more pictures of them,


Live from RAF Marham, this is Crimewatch.


Good evening and welcome to Crimewatch.


For the first time, we're travelling the country broadcasting from major


We're starting here at RAF Marham, in Norfolk,


home to the Air Force's Tornado Squadrons and the location


of the attempted abduction of a British airman


We'll have a full reconstruction shortly.


But first, a brief look at what else we have for you tonight.


We're out on the road, but we still have police officers


Can you help to find our latest batch of wanted faces and identify


Plus, the inside story of how the murderer of 17-year-old


Melanie Road was finally brought to justice after three decades,


thanks to advances in forensic science


When I first came into the investigation, it


just gripped me and - like everyone who'd gone before me


and who'd worked on it - I wanted to be part of the team


This is one of the RAF's largest and busiest air bases.


Marham is home to three squadrons of Tornado aircraft currently flying


operations in the Middle East and almost 10,000 service personnel


It was just a mile away from here, on the 20th of July,


that one airman - out for a run along a country road -


encountered something that, despite years of military service,


I was like, what the hell is going on? I didn't see anyone around. I


knew I was on my own. It is the what ifs, not being able to see my wife


again and not being able to see my family again.


The Norfolk village of Marham is the site of one of the RAF's largest


bases. From here, they provide air support the British military


operations across the world. It is also home to an airman with nearly


12 years active service. To protect his identity, his words are spoken


by an actor. Being in the services, it is a job that takes you all over


the world. The best part is being at home. We deployed to different


places and we get put in situations that your average civilian would not


be putting. But when you come home, you think you are in relative


safety. -- put in. I finished early from work and I came home and I went


into the kitchen and I made myself some juice. I sat on the sofa and I


put the TV on and I chilled for 20 minutes and I looked outside. I


realised the weather was really nice so I had better drag my bomb of the


sofa and go for a run. I have to do it because of my job, being in the


military, you have to keep fit. The day in particular was about 20


degrees, blue skies, no wind, a nice's day really. I was listening


to heavy metal music, to get myself that bit extra motivation. It was


14:55 p.m., remember looking at my watch. I like to know how quickly I


am running to see how to improve run. This is the first time I run


that route alone. Usually, I run with my wife or someone else. I like


running with a partner because it pushes you more. But this time,


there was no want to run with so I decided to go out on my own.


National one. Sometimes I enjoy it, sometimes I don't. But yes, it is


time to yourself, you know? The beginning of the run, you think


about the end of it. That is probably what I was thinking about.


Nothing out of the ordinary was happening. It was a completely


normal day. I was running uphill and usually I


increase my pace to put that last bit of effort into push myself to


the maximum and I was really, really fatigued. It was a dark coloured


people carrier on the opposite side of the road, did not really notice


at first. And I saw this guy get out, a large stocky fellow, six foot


two, six foot three. Maybe 16, 17 stone. He definitely went to the


gym. I was like, what the hell is going on? I knew something was


wrong, I could not tell what he was saying because my headphones were so


loud. I knew that he was angry. I knew he was trying to drag me


towards that open-door and I knew what I had to do to get away. I was


fighting for my life. I managed to get my right arm across his chest,


pushing him away, which gave me enough room to head-butt him. He


still had hold of my left arm. I had enough room so I hit him. That is


when I noticed the second guy around the back of the car. It was just


adrenaline and when I saw the knife, I was like, here we go. I took up a


defensive position because I thought he would come at me. We looked at


each other. We looked at each other for about three seconds, I guess.


That two, three seconds, I will never forget that. I didn't see


anyone around, I knew I was on my own. He took a look at his


unconscious friend on the floor and he looked at me and he was like, no.


As soon as he dropped that is nice, I turned and ran. -- that's knife.


It is the what ifs, it didn't happen and thank God, but it is the the


what ifs, you know? Not being able to see my wife again. And not being


able to see my family again. I am confident that if they did get me in


that car, it would have been me. This entire event has turned my


world upside down. I am not scared to go shopping or go for a run or


anything like that, I won't let this stop me doing things I need to do,


but it does affect you emotionally. I was phoning my wife, that is when


the realisation sort of hit. The outcome could have been a lot more


severe. It is important they are caught. They can't get away with it.


They need to know that they are going to be brought to justice for


it. And worrying case indeed. We'll take a look at how you can


help in just a moment, but earlier, I went to look around the crime


scene itself with the lead officer on the case, Detective


Superintendent Paul Durham. The incident took place at the edge


of Marham village, on Squires Hill, just a mile down the road


from where we are now. This location, it's


the perfect place for As you can see, the visibility


here is very limited. Down there is a series of S-bends


blocking the line of sight. And up ahead, the rise of the hill


also blocks the view. He is running along the payment?


Yes, he is running along the payment. There is a drain hole cover


on the right-hand side. -- payment. As he approaches that, he first


becomes aware of the vehicle and the men on the right-hand side. Their


vehicle would have been parked on that side of the road, facing down


the hill, so facing him as he ran towards them. And no cars yet, they


were able to try and take him. Seemingly so. And once the attack


had finished, the runner ran as fast as he could up the hill towards the


camp. Paul is with me now. Incredibly brave of this airman to


fight off the two attackers, it could have been a lot worse. Very


brave indeed when you consider he would have been tired after his run


and in a very isolated area, it could have been a lot worse if it


had not been for his actions. Is this the kind of terrorist incident


that claimed the life of drama Lee Rigby? We are treating it as an


attempted abduction but we are working officers -- with officers


from the Counter Terrorism Command and I am ruling nothing out. Two


men, the first described as six tall, of heavy build, with a dark


beard and how long this on top. Wearing a T-shirt with diagonal


writing across the front of the T-shirt. We think he had some sort


of visible injuries to the eye area as a result of being struck by the


airman during the attack. The second man is described as being slimmer,


five clean-shaven, with short hair on the sides. One of the men was


armed with a knife, do you know what kind it was? We think it was


something like this. Described as being a military type knife with a


wide, short blade, black, about 2-3 inches. What is exciting is you


think you have CCTV to help. We have got some CCTV from a store located


not far away from the incident. It is not of the best quality but in


the top left corner, there are a number of vehicles which passed


through Squires Hill at the material time and I am keen to identify the


occupiers and owners of those vehicles to find out what they saw


immediately before and after the incident. Paul Durham, thank you


very much indeed. Take another look at e-fits and if you think you can


help the team identified these two men, we would very much like to hear


from you. Calls are free from landlines


and mobile phones. Thanks, Jeremy, and welcome


inside our mobile incident studio. This is where the detectives working


on tonight's cases They're already busy and we'll check


in with them on how But first, time for tonight's CCTV


roundup of crimes caught on camera. A petrol station in Birmingham in


April. Some friends have paused for a stop to shop. They encounter a


feisty group of males who talk to them. The man police are looking to


trace is this and Greek guy in the blue T-shirt. Keep a close eye on


him. -- angry man. A fight breaks out, one of the victims is quickly


knocked unconscious, but not stop the angry man from giving him a


kicking. And if that is not enough, while the other victim is sitting on


the floor, the man runs over and starts kicking him as well. He then


starts throwing punches. This Midlands police need a name for this


violent man. Call us now. -- West Midlands police.


It is a Friday evening at a fast-food restaurant in Reading. But


this man with a rucksack seems to be after more than a quick bite to eat.


He had straight for the men's but changes his mind and leaves the


toilet area. -- he heads. Seconds later, he is back. And he tries to


kick a stool holding a door open out of the way.


Police would very much like to speak to him. If you know who he is, get


in touch. A woman is making a visit to a presidential area of Notting


Hill in West London when she is approached by two hooded men.


Terrifyingly, they grab her in a chokehold. She tries to kick back.


But look closely. One of the men Paul is a ring from her finger and


puts it in his mouth. -- polls. The two men dump the now unconscious


woman on the floor and they make. Thankfully, she made a full


recovery. These men are dangerous. Police believe this wasn't their


first ring robbery. Let's know if you can put names to these faces.


A silver car pulls up of the man gets out and checks to see if anyone


is home. He's in luck, no one is in. So he sets to work trying to break


through the patio doors. Look carefully and you can see him in the


reflection of the TV. He searches the house, but what is he after?


According to police, he has managed to nab a white jewellery box, but as


he leaves, he gives us quite a view. He drives away, but not for long.


Two minutes later he speeds back-up the drive and jokes inside. Maybe


he's looking for a belt for those trousers. He returns to the kitchen,


this time with another hall in a pillow case. Once he's finally got


enough, he heads out. He stole items and caused damage worth ?16,000. If


you can help track this one, give us a bell.


Texts will be charged at your standard message rate.


Now, I can tell you that we've already had some interesting calls


And throughout the programme and after we're off air,


you can find all the latest developments as they happen


Now, around seven million people in the UK look for love online.


Most have honourable intentions and many end up enjoying successful


But unfortunately, for some users of dating apps and websites,


In this special Crimewatch investigation, Radio 1 Newsbeat


presenter Steffan Powell looks at the potential dangers


Online dating is part of everyday life.


For millions of people in the UK. For most, it is a safe, helpful and


fun way to start a new relationship. Lots of us are using apps on our


phones to meet someone new. Last year I made a documentary looking at


dating apps and how the technology has changed in the way we find sex


and relationships. In the last few years there have been a number of


disturbing cases, some including murder and rape, which have shown a


darker side to online dating. I want to find out about the potential


dangers and how to stay safe when meeting others online. In October


last year, this 44-year-old lady was murdered by a man she had met on a


dating site. Miles Donnelly admitted to killing the single mother after


meeting first to face -- meeting face-to-face. This man was found


guilty of raping five women and attacking others after meeting them


on mtach.com. I want to explore how the technology can be exploited


through those with sinister intentions. I'm setting up three


fake profiles. I start off setting up a profile on match .com. One of


the biggest sites in the UK. It's asking me for my relationship


status. What you look like, where you're from. I can put pretty much


anything I want to on here. I'm also trying to free site Oasis, and freak


app tinder. And free app tinder. They could be


anyone, they could be sending pictures of someone else. I imagine


it could be quite easy to distort who you are. And makes periods


people are nice but you have two -- in my experience, most people are


nice. There has been a rise to 184, in 2014. Now they have revealed it


has gone up again, to around 200 in the last year. There will be a small


element of individuals that are going out with the predefined remit


of rape. How do they perpetrate these offences? They perpetrate them


by getting you to be in a place they want you to be in and for them to


call the shots. The majority of the offences take place either at the


Victor's home address or at the offender's, 71% plus, in fact. -- at


the Victor's home address. With online dating, you develop a pseudo-


intimacy that you wouldn't have done otherwise. Worryingly, the NCA


suggests there may be a new type of offender utilising online dating


platforms. Are we seeing overall more people being raped because this


is a new capability that perhaps some offenders wouldn't have carried


out rates until the point at which they have this ease of use? We just


don't know the answer to that yet. But there is a strong possibility


that that might be the case. So, the online accounts have been up and


running for a few days now. And it is surprising just how much


information I can get my hands on by using at other you -- looking at


other users's profiles. There was one example of someone on Tinder, I


got her first name, her age and where she worked on the site and


then just by doing some basic digging online, I could get her full


name, lots more photographs of her and also a possible address of where


she lived as well. Are the risks said to be linked to dating online


include fraud, stalking and harassment. The number of crimes are


extremely low compared to the millions of users, but campaigners


say we need to still be aware. The Internet doesn't create stalkers,


we've had stalkers for hundreds and hundreds of years, the Internet just


makes a stalker's life easier, it gives them access to a lot of


information that they can gain without even leaving their own home.


If you've disclosed your surname, it's very easy for someone to


actually get your full postal address, to the point that you can


get perpetrators turning up at your property. We all have a huge digital


footprint and it's about managing that if we can, at also about


bringing the perpetrators to book for this. It is thought that many of


us hate differently online than when meeting people face-to-face. We see


an escalation in building the relationship. We see self-disclosure


happening quickly, trust happening quickly. Also specifically in terms


of dating, you would see the exchanges of text which are more


intimate all would have sexualised content more quickly than would


happen in the real world. The offender will often use very


persuasive techniques to get their date to move to a private location.


Very often, the victim has agreed because they feel that they know


this person. Now, Rachel, I've been on three different sites for just


over a week and in that time I've had about 15 conversations with


different people. Over half the people we've spoken to have given us


information that have led us to phone numbers, addresses, where they


work. What you make of the results? It doesn't surprise me at all. I


expected that people would give information out almost without


prompting. As individuals, we are quite trusting. We don't expect to


be communicating with a stalker online. If you take a look at this


conversation yesterday, you can see from this I've got that she's gone


to a barbecue this weekend, I know where she lives and where she


studies. I'm not saying she's done anything wrong by sharing this


information but you can do a lot with it, can't you? The wrong person


can do an awful lot with that information. The responsibility is


the stalker's, isn't it? But you need to be aware of what someone can


use that information to do. So what I found is concerning, but the NCA


also highlight the risks of meeting privately on a first date will stop


that I decided to meet six of those we've been speaking to to do just


that. Despite very little online contact, two agreed. Neither of them


knew my true identity. Two others agreed to meet but only in public.


The others said no. Of course, incidents linked to online dating


are never the victim's fault, but how Billy NCA suggest we minimise


potential risks? I always guard how much personal information I give to


an individual until I fully know who they are. First names, always meet


in public, always make your own way to the date and try not to accept a


lift home. There are many successful dates thanks to the Internet every


day in the UK, but judging from what I've seen, we should also be aware


that not everyone has the best intentions when it comes to finding


romance. Following our investigation, match.com, who also


owned Tinder, told us they are no more immune to people with bad


intentions than society at large. They say they have a zero tolerance


policy for the serious offences and encourage anyone who has felt


exposed to unsafe behaviour to immediately contact the police.


Oasis.com say it always urges people to be careful when meeting new


people and they should exercise the same caution they would in other


circumstances such as a bar or a party. The strongly urge users to


follow the safety guidelines outlined on their website. You can


find more on our website or at getsafeonline.org.


A mother's search for justice for her daughter, murdered at 14.


I looked out of the window and there was a police officer


But we've our Wanted Faces first, starting with Isiah Wright-Young,


He's wanted in relation to the murder of a man


who was shot in the face in the Ladywood area of Birmingham.


Wright-Young is 36, has links to the West Midlands and London,


and has a half-inch scar above his left eyebrow.


He's described as dangerous, so don't approach him.


He was questioned by detectives in connection with the rape


of a woman at the sheltered accommodation where he had worked.


He was released on police bail, but has failed to return.


Qureshi may now be clean-shaven, with longer hair.


He has links to London and the West Midlands.


Face number three is Michael Philip Leaberry,


or you may know him as Stephen Bugman, or "Sonic".


The 36 year old was arrested in connection with the alleged


sexual assault of a young girl, and released on police bail.


But he's failed to return for further questioning.


Leaberry has links to Edinburgh, Suffolk, Norwich, Chester,


And finally for now is Darren Clevous Cohen.


Detectives in Gloucestershire want to speak to him in connection


with an attack in a nightclub in which a man was slashed


Cohen is 35, has a Birmingham accent and links to Gloucestershire


If you know where any of tonight's faces might be,


please do get in touch using the numbers on screen.


We'll go through the rest of the line-up a little later.


A fortnight ago marked 20 years since schoolgirl


The 14-year-old, from Bonhill, just north of Dumbarton,


was on her way to see her boyfriend in the early hours of


the 25th of August 1996 when she was brutally attacked.


Tonight, Caroline's mother speaks about the day life stood still,


and appeals for your help for answers.


In 1996, 14-year-old Caroline Glachan was brutally murdered. The


schoolgirl from a Bonhill near Dumbarton suffered a sustained


attack resulting in severe head injuries. Her body was found in a


few yards from her home on the banks of the River Leven. Within days, her


grieving mother Margaret made an emotional appeal to catch her


killer. I am really just here to ask anybody that saw anything, that


heard anything. She was my only child. Somebody must know something.


The press conference was quite harrowing. I had to just totally


concentrate on why I was there. But it was like looking in on somebody,


it was me, but it wasn't me. It is much easier then to think, we will


get somebody. 20 years down the line, to have that hope is harder. A


huge police operation got under way. But despite extensive enquiries and


a national public appeal, detectives drew a blank. Four months later,


they turned the Crimewatch. The reconstruction started with


Caroline's journey home along the River Leven on Saturday the 24th of


August at nine p.m.. It was her mother Margaret's 40th birthday the


next day and as she prepared to go out and celebrate, Caroline again


left the house, this time to meet her best friend Joanne. When she was


going, she said, I am going to get Joanne. I said, that is fine, mind


your time, don't be back later. Yes, yes, yes. That was the last I saw


her. For the next couple of hours, Caroline and Joanne drifted around


the Bonhill estate, meeting friends. Joanne and two others went home to


watch videos. Caroline walked alone to go to her boyfriend's house in


Renton on the other side of the River Leven. It wasn't until 4pm the


next day, Sunday the 25th of August, that the grim discovery was made.


Caroline's body was in the water, she had been violently attacked and


had been dead for some hours. An anxious Margaret, who had already


reported her missing, received the worst news possible just a couple of


hours later. I looked out of the window and this police officer with


a policewoman, and I knew. I knew then. You just... I just knew. I got


this unbelievable pain. Which I can still feel. Sorry. It is just a pain


in my heart. I just knew it was her. They came up and they asked about


her. I told them and they said then that they believed it was her but I


would have to identify her. Of course, by this time, it is my


birthday. So life did not begin at 40. For me, it basically ended.


Joanne Menzies was Caroline's best friend. As a grief stricken


14-year-old, she bravely took part in the reconstruction herself.


It was important to me because me and Caroline were together that


night and if it was an actress, people are not going to know the


actress. I would do anything to help catch whodunnit.


This is the area where me and Caroline parted. Caroline gave me a


kiss and a cuddle and said, I will see you in a wee while and went down


the stairs towards the Black Bridge to meet her boyfriend. 20 years


later, she still cannot fully accept what happened that night. I felt


guilty. Why didn't I go with her? I could maybe have helped her. The day


they killed Caroline, they killed my only friend. I still to this day do


not have a best friend. I am her mother. And I should have been there


to protect her. I should make things right. So this is my way of trying


to make things right. Trying to help to solve it. But I cannot do that on


my own. I need people to come forward. This is a child killer,


this is the worst of the worst. You cannot get worse than this. People


killing children. Caroline was only a child, she was only 14. These


people should now stand up and actually finally be counted. As a


human being, and not hiding a sickening secret. The two men --


main answers I need is who and why? Why is beyond me. I just don't know.


What would make somebody want to kill a 14-year-old girl? There is


always something missing. And there will always be something missing.


And that something is my daughter. Detective Superintendent Jim Kerr,


from Police Scotland, You still need to hear


from witnesses from that Talk us through the route


she would have taken. Just after midnight on Sunday


the 25th of August 1996, Caroline was walking


to her boyfriend's house in Renton along a towpath running


along the river. She left the Bonhill shots. The


Dillichip Loan Bridge last known as the Black Bridge.


She'd have walked from the shopping area in Bonhill where


she was last seen with Joanne past Dillichip Loan,


and across Dillichip Bridge, commonly known as the Black Bridge.


That bridge no longer exists, but was a well-known local landmark.


Now, as well as new witnesses who may have seen Caroline that


night, you have an e-fit of a man seen nearby you need to trace.


Yes, at the time she was walking along Dillichip Loan, a witness


reported seeing a man in a green hoody.


We could do with tracing him tonight. Any other sightings? Around


quarter to one, two men, one wearing a green or blue hooded top, running


near to the Kippen Dairy, despite repeated appeals over 20 years,


those men have not come forward and could be vital witnesses. I gather


you believe in those communities of Bonhill and Renton, the answer lies.


Undoubtedly. We are aware that allegiances change. We would appeal


to anybody who had hesitation at the time to come forward and contact us


tonight. There was a lot of speculation at the time that the


community, some of which made up their minds as to what happened and


decided not to contact us. The big issue here is there is a 14-year-old


child murdered on the banks of the River Leven and we would urge people


to get in touch. Thank you very much indeed.


If you have any information which could help bring closure


to this family of a murdered child, please do get in touch.


Or, if you prefer, you can call Crimestoppers anonymously.


Also, if you've been a victim of any crime,


you may want to speak to Victim Support.


All the contact details, including a dedicated email address


for Jim and his team, are on the website.


Let's just catch up now on new developments


Of course, we're live from RAF Marham, appealing for information


about the attempted abduction of a serviceman.


Detective Superintendent Paul Durham is leading the case and has been


A pleasing response so far. A number of calls reporting sightings of


people they think matches the description of the e-fits and names


but those images as well, which is very important at the moment. This


e-fits are so important and those detailed descriptions.


Thank you for now. Great to hear there could be some movement.


The 30-year-quest to find 17-year-old Melanie Road's killer.


The trail of blood, it's almost like something out


of an Agatha Christie, isn't it, this trail


He was on trial for 13 counts of money laundering and perverting


the course of justice, after setting up a company


selling energy drinks, despite not having any to sell!


He didn't hang around to receive his seven-and-a-half year


Hussain is 35 and has links to Bradford, Dubai and Pakistan.


Detectives in Merseyside want to question him after firearms


and a large quantity of drugs were discovered at his home.


Wood has links to Liverpool and Dublin and has the name 'Ciara'


This unhappy-looking man is Jonathon Yeo,


although he may be using the surname Simmonds.


Detectives want to question him in connection to the supply


of heroin and crack cocaine in the Weston-super-Mare


Yeo is 44 and has numerous tattoos, including the name Julie


on his neck, and Jon on his left arm.


He also has a bulldog and a panther's head on his right arm.


He has friends and family in Weston, as well as Exeter.


He's described as violent, so don't approach.


Just dial 999 if you know where he is.


And finally, we have Ashley Alan Dad, although


police believe he may be using a different name.


He was sentenced to five years in jail for his role in the theft


of up to ?52 million-worth of artefacts from


Dad didn't turn up to hear his sentence though and


He is 35 and has a West Midlands accent.


If you know where any of tonight's faces are, then get in touch


Of course, you can take another look on the Crimewatch website.


Time for some updates on previous cases now,


and since our last programme, you've helped put dozens


There are too many cases to list them all, so here's just a small


selection, starting with the murder of 34-year-old Tipu Sultan.


We featured his case in May 2015, after he was shot dead


at the family's takeaway in South Shields.


Well, your calls helped Northumbria detectives to arrest 47-year-old


Michael McDougall and 24-year-old Michael Mullen for Tipu's murder.


McDougall has now been sentenced to a minimum of 34 years,


with Mullen receiving 12 years for manslaughter.


Tipu's family wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped.


We have got justice. And yes, it it is not going to bring him back. But


it has given us a bit of a sense of relief. Facing those men that took


somebody away from us is probably one of the hardest things I have


come across in my life as well. Thank you so much


for your crucial calls. A man who raped and murdered


a 17-year-old girl in her home 34 The case of Yiannoulla Yianni


featured twice on the programme after she was murdered whilst alone


at the family home in Hampstead, Well, a DNA breakthrough led


to the conviction in July this year He's now starting


25 years behind bars. You've also helped detectives solve


a number of the CCTV cases, including catching one of the men


responsible for this callous theft An 88-year-old pensioner's home


was broken into and thousands of pounds' worth of valuables,


including his war medals, stolen. Well, you called in to name


30-year-old Shaun Creddy Price. He pleaded guilty in August


to the burglary and other offences and was jailed for five


years and eight months. Plus, you've helped to put all


of these Wanted Faces behind bars. Amongst them are people wanted


for very serious offences - All in, they received sentences


totalling almost 60 years. One of them was wanted for raping a


vulnerable woman and he has now been jailed for ten years.


We also have Haik Madoyan, 43, who's been jailed for 16 years


for stealing more than ?80,000 in armed robberies at travel agents


And 32-year-old Miles Phillips who handed himself into police


after his mum saw him on Crimewatch in February.


He pleaded guilty to drugs offences and was jailed for six


Just a small selection of some of the amazing results we've had


Melanie Road was just 17 when she was attacked


as she made her way home from a nightclub in Bath in 1984.


She was stabbed 26 times and died a short distance


Melanie was discovered in the early hours of the morning by a milkman.


It was the start of what would become one of the UK's


longest running and most challenging police investigations.


On Saturday nine June 1984, the body of a young woman was found in the


Lansdowne area of Bath. She had been brutally murdered. The hunt for the


killer would span decades, involving hundreds of police officers and


multiple investigation teams. The whole city of Bath was affected. I


don't think they could believe that such a thing had happened in their


city. The task facing us was massive. I always had the feeling it


was going to be a matter of time. It just gripped me. Everyone who had


gone before me and everyone who I worked with at the time, I wanted to


be part of the team that solved it. One of the first people on the scene


was chief in the John Smith. I was in charge of the scenes of crime at


their headquarters. I was in the office at the time and there was a


call to the office that a serious crime had occurred in Bath. It was


obvious that there had been a struggle. It was very sad because


she was a young girl. No one wants to deal with that sort of crime, but


that was what was there and that was what we had to deal with. Our job


was to protect any evidence that was available and make sure that that


evidence was treated properly. She had suffered multiple stab wounds


and that was clear to see, when she was lying there on the ground. It


was obviously a violent death and not something we experience very


often, fortunately. The obvious question is, who is responsible? But


it wasn't only the killer that needed -- who needed to be


identified. The only clue that the lease had to the victim was a key


ring found near her body with the name Melanie on it. Police started


driving around the streets and they were basically just saying, does


anyone know of a Melani Costa mark we're trying to find a Melanie. Her


mum remembers it vividly, going out and saying we've got a Melanie,


we've got a daughter called Melanie and she hasn't come home. Melanie's


family have written about the impact their tragic loss has had on them.


For her sister, even today the brief is very raw. I had always longed for


a baby sister and when she was born I thought all my prayers had been


answered. She was pretty, sweet and clever. We used to call her little


duckling. With her NHS glasses and a patch over one eye, I knew she was


going to turning to a beautiful swan one day. 17-year-old Melanie Road


was the youngest of three. She lived with her parents in the Lansdowne


area of Bath. She had dreams and wishes about being married, having


children. Last morning -- that last morning she bathed and dressed her


baby niece, a baby of just six weeks at the time. Heartbreakingly, her


body was found just 200 metres from her home. She had been raped and


stabbed 26 times. The last time I saw her was at 5pm, outside the


trances hotel. I remember it perfectly. She kissed me on the


cheek, to say goodbye. She was going off to play tennis with her friends


and she was looking forward to going out that evening. She had her whole


life ahead of her, the whole world was opening up for her. Police now


knew the name of a victim, but who had so brutally cut her life short?


Would the trail of blood left at the scene lead the police to her killer?


In 1984 the principles are the same, it's about methodology and being


absolutely specific around what you're doing. We started with


Melanie herself in situ there and looked around. There's a blood Trail


that seems to lead away from the body and goes out of Saint Stephen's


court and out onto Saint Stephen's Road. Although the spots were very


small, at the beginning at Saint Stephen's court, there were lots of


them. It went all the way to the steps and then out onto Camden


Crescent. My scene of crime officers were told to follow each Trail, Mark


each spot and then it would be swapped. It was essential that it


would be marked and preserved for future evidential use. It's almost


like something out of an Agatha Christie, isn't it? This trail of


blood leading away. All this blood was group A, and Melanie Wilson


group A, but there is a special test they could do all to do with the


proteins in the blood and from that they could distinguish that the


blood came from two people, one was Melanie and one was the offender.


Even in 1984, they established that only 3% of the population actually


had that blood grouping, so the parameters were narrowed down, but


of course not enough if you don't know who your suspect was. A


full-scale manhunt began. In the first year of the investigation, 94


people were arrested. But no one was charged. I think the crux of it is


that they did so much work at the beginning there wasn't any more to


be done. There wasn't any more to be dug out and found. If it was to be


had, somebody had to bring it to us. There was a lot of publicity around


the anniversary again in 1985, in order to see if anyone could


generate any new information. At that point, they decided that that


was it, they would scale it down. Police were desperate to find


Melanie's killer, yet faced with nothing but dead ends. But with the


passage of time, developments in science and technology offered


investigators new hope. In 1988, DNA started being used in casework and


by 1995, a national database was set up so that DNA evidence could be


checked against offenders's profiles. Swabs and clothing from


the crime scene had been meticulously stored for 11 years. As


a result, scientists were still able to extract a partial DNA profile


from them. They must have been quite exciting times then. I could imagine


them sat there thinking, we will just wait a day or two and we will


be told our man is on the database. The time came and they were told no


DNA that matches your crime scene. Once again the investigator's hopes


were dashed. Five years later, another development in technology


would offer a possible answer. My main involvement directly with the


case came about the year 2000, when I became a major crime specialist


adviser and part of my role was to review old murder cases to see if


there was anyway we could improve or get a better DNA profile. So I then


had to review what we still had at the lab, what might be available


with the police, to see if we could work on any semen stained that might


be left behind, that had not been used up and try to get an improved


profile using the up to date then DNA technique. Fortunately, I was


able to find some semen staining left over from Melanie's trousers


and we were able to get an up-to-date DNA profile at that


point. We got very close. It wasn't a full profile but it was very


nearly. An improved DNA profile was a good lead, but it still wasn't


enough to point them to the killer. Would Melanie's murderer ever be


brought to justice? We had an almost complete profile.


We were thinking the offender injured himself and that is most


useful to us it does what it is saying... Therefore this was the


offender's DNA that we had and all we had to do was identify the right


person to swab. Everyone was excited by the prospect. Detectives believed


they were getting closer. Determined to crack the case, on the 25th


anniversary of Melanie's murderer, police turned to Crimewatch. They


didn't expect there is result they would get. Melanie's family have had


to live with the knowledge that her killer has never been caught, for a


quarter of a century. The reconstruction of what police


believe to be Melanie's route home and the tragic events of that night


sparked an influx of calls, providing the investigation with 18


new names. One caller was of particular interest. He claimed to


have actually spoken to the killer just moments after the attack.


25 years on, he was a brand-new witness. But would his information


provided the breakthrough that they had been waiting so long for? Next


week, in the hunt for Melanie Road's killer... 97.5% sure it's going to


be him... Known in the business as a screamer... I just knew that I was


going to solve it. Such an awful case for


Melanie's poor family. Do join us next week to see how


the extraordinary OK, time for a last check


on what sort of calls The phone lines very busy inside the


mobile incident room. Let's grab a quick word with Detective


Superintendent Paul Durham. We've been very busy. A lot of important


calls coming through, and a lot of sightings, people putting fits to


these faces. Jim, you have had calls but not the crucial when you need?


It's been 20 years and we are still very interested in the identity of


that e-fit. That is everything for now on BBC One.


But you can follow all of the developments


Head there for the very latest from the detectives,


as they chase up all the calls still coming in behind me.


The phone lines stay open until midnight tomorrow,


Next week, we'll have exclusive new developments in one of Britain's


Plus, a shocking investigation into the appalling


As soon as I got on the tram and the doors had shut, announcements had


finished, straightaway I could hear a lot of vulgar language. It


instantly turned very nasty. On the days we were targeted, for about ten


or 11 days we had to pull our phone lines out.


But for now, thank you so much for all of your calls so far.


From everyone here at RAF Marham, goodbye.


It's carnival time here for Great Britain!


Crimewatch returns with new presenters and a new look. Jeremy Vine and Tina Daheley present the latest appeals, hoping viewers will be able to help crack some of the UK's biggest unsolved cases.

The programme now takes viewers to the heart of key appeals across the UK, as each episode broadcasts live from a mobile incident studio based near the scene of a key crime highlighted on the show.

This edition features a special investigation into the dangers of online dating and the story of how detectives caught 17-year-old Melanie Road's killer after 31 years on the run.

The Crimewatch Update programme has been replaced with a new live digital platform linked to the show's website. It keeps audiences up to date with developments on the cases during and immediately after transmission and in the weeks between each episode.

Call free on 08085 600 600, text 'CRIME' and your message to 63399 [standard network rates] or visit bbc.co.uk/crimewatch. Follow developments via Twitter @BBCCrimewatch.

Download Subtitles