26/04/2016 World News Today


The latest national and international news, exploring the day's events from a global perspective.

Similar Content

Browse content similar to 26/04/2016. Check below for episodes and series from the same categories and more!



This is BBC World News Today with me, Karin Giannone.


A 27-year battle for justice ends with a jury


deciding that the victims of the Briatin's worst sporting


96 Liverpool football fans died in a crush


at Hillsborough during the FA Cup semi-final in 1989.


Oh come, O come, with hope in your heart...


At last the families who fought to uncover the truth know


what really happened and that their loved ones


It's another Super Tuesday, with five states going to the polls.


Voters could boost Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump's campaigns


A Dutch dentist who mutilated the mouths of more than 100


It's taken 27 long years, but a jury here in Britain concluded today


that the 96 Liverpool football fans, who died in the Hillsborough stadium


disaster in 1989, were unlawfully killed.


The jury in the longest-running inquest in British history also


decided that the police officer in charge was responsible


for manslaughter by gross negligence and that the fans themselves,


who were crushed on the terraces, were not to blame.


Families of the victims say the conclusion vindicates


Let's go live to Warrington now to Ben Brown.


Hello from Warrington. It has been an extraordinary day here, where


legal history has been made. Because the jury of six women and three men


decided that the 96 Liverpool fans who died at Hillsborough stadium


back in 1989 were unlawfully killed. When that conclusion was read out in


court hearing Warrington, there were cheers from family members. There


was applause as well from them. They hugged each other and there were


cries of alleluia. The jury blamed police preparations before the game


for the disaster and they blamed police and ambulance services for


the emergency response after the disaster as well. The jury decided


that the Liverpool fans who were at Hillsborough, the lettings Lane end


of the ground, were in no way to blame for the crash at that end


which led to the death of 96 fans. The youngest was aged ten and the


eldest, 67. Judith Moritz was in court to hear the jury's decisions.


Basing it on the Kop and today they sang it in court. -- they sing it.


Mothers in tears and weeping. Justice! This is what the decisions


mean to the families. Now do they believe us? Unlawful. They have been


haunted by Hillsborough for 27 years. We have been knocked back


that many times. It is just, I do not know. I am overwhelmed. They


still feel the pain of April 19 89. COMMENTATOR On a clear sunny day in


Hillsborough the stage is set for a rerun of the classic last year. We


were excited about the game and a couple of hours later, both my


children were dead. Horrible scenes. I have no way of knowing how many


casualties we have but they are considerable. We saw faces against


the fence and people saying to you, Bruce, can you help us, they are


killing us. We have people being carried away on stretchers. I


remember saying over and over again, please breathe. I cannot stress


enough the serious nature of what has happened today. Unfortunately we


have witnessed a tragedy. James Gary Aspinall. Paul William Carlisle. 96


lives ended and countless more were shattered. From one day of disaster


came years of grief, trauma and anger. They called for justice. Now


they have been heard. The families have always felt the match commander


David Duckenfield failed to keep the fans saved and now the jury agreed,


saying his mistakes were so serious that supporters were unlawfully


killed. Outside the ground, thousands of fans gathered. The jury


decided the police lost control. David Duckenfield ordered a large


gate to be opened to let them in and the jury said commanding officers


should have closed the tunnel to the terraces and because they didn't,


people were crushed to death. Chief Superintendant Duckenfield later


lied and said the fans forced the gate. It was more than one quarter


of a century before he admitted his mistakes before these inquests.


David Duckenfield sat in the witness box next to the families bereaved by


Hillsborough. The man paid to protect the fans and who chose


instead to blame them. For the first time he admitted his lie and


apologise for his mistakes will stop some relatives sobbed. Finding it


too much to bear after so many years. My name is Charlotte Hennessy


and I lost my dad Jimmy in the disaster. Charlotte was six when she


lost her father at Hillsborough. No parent herself, after the apology


she recorded her reaction on a video diary for the BBC. I can


categorically say now that I do not accept your apology, David


Duckenfield. I do not accept it will stop you live a life or 26 years.


That is beyond cruel. One grieving father waited outside court that day


to seize the chance to confront the commander himself. Today he said he


had achieved justice for his son. I went with him that day and I took my


mobile and this may sound daft but I sat on the stone next to him and I


played you will never walk alone to him. Today some families call for


the resignation of the current Chief Constable of South Yorkshire and.


The force failed the victims and failed their families. Today, as I


have said before, I would like to apologise unreservedly to the


families and those affected. The jury said lives were lost because


the ambulance service did not declare a major incident. Today the


service apologise. Tony Edwards was one of the only medics to make it


onto the pitch without back-up support. If it had been dealt with


properly I would not have been alone, there would have been other


ambulance crews there, we could've stayed on the pitch and it could


have been completely different and we have said that for years and now


we are looking at properly. There was a vindication for survivors and


fans who the jury say played no part in causing the disaster. They died


around us and sadly some of them beneath us. We carried them on the


pitch, we were there with them in their final moments. We were


predominantly trying to save their lives. 96 men, women and children as


young as ten lost their lives. The coroner told their families they


could have done no more. Before today, Justice for the 96 was a


battle cry and now it is being sung in victory.


That campaign for justice for the 96 has been a very long one. 27 years


is how long the families of the dead have waited for the findings they


got today at Warrington coroner 's court. Very different from the


original inquests back in 1991 when the verdict was accidental death.


Today the decision of the jury was unlawful killing and they found the


mistakes in judgment made by the police commander, the match


commander, Chief superintendent David duck and field on the day


amounted to gross negligence. The South Yorkshire 's fourth admitted


their policing today, on that day on April 15, 1989 had gone


catastrophically wrong. Lucy Manning reports.


Like today's fans they were going to a game and then home but too many


Liverpool supporters did not make it. Let down by the police who


should have protected them. The emergency services could have saved


them and the ground was supposed to be safe. By opening that date, they


were... Tony was a steward inside the ground and this is his first


interview about what happened at Hillsborough. What did you make of


police behaviour on the day? They were disorganised. Nobody knew who


was in charge to start with. I saw police stood there talking about


people laid on the floor. I saw police not do nothing. The failures


started early on outside. Not enough turnstiles and police officers were


here. Radios were not working and inexperienced match commander and a


ground without a valid safety certificate. As the fans started to


be crushed outside the ground, the disastrous fateful decision was


taken to open the gate. That situation got out of hand early


doors. A responsible police officer would have looked at it, assessed


the situation and done something about it prior to the build-up.


William Crawford was a police sergeant working by the lettings


Lane end. All it needed was someone to pass me a message and say, we are


going to open the gate, close the tunnel. We were overwhelmed that


day. Despite a clear view from the police control box, senior officers


did little. The commander called for police dogs for ambulances. The jury


found not only did the police caused the tragedy but then they did not do


enough to save fans. I really felt mad. Because I had actually seen


police pushing people back into the crowd. And I told police I have seen


this and saw them hitting them with truncheons as they were climbing.


They said, it was a mistake and I must have been seeing things. That


had eaten me up for a long time. Some police did help. Doug Earlswood


one year out of training when he tried to rescue fans and others


failed them. How do you feel senior officers behaved? I did see two at


the fence. But they had just frozen. And I shouted, I do not remember...


Some police stood still, lined across the police -- pitch to stop


any violence. But fans were not fighting. They were dying. I thought


we were very light on manpower at this end. More than 200 April raised


concerns afterwards and found their account had been changed. -- people.


I had been assured that paragraph had been deleted and it was removed


because there was criticism. But serious criticism from the jury and


also South Yorkshire and is the. 'S errors cost lives. Only three


ambulances made it onto the pitch, one, one hour after the disaster and


most queued up outside. Peter Wells was one of the volunteers with the


St John's ambulance. What about South Yorkshire ambulance and their


staff? They were there but I never saw them on the ground. When I got


to the fence it was so obvious people were in trouble. I think


anybody trained or otherwise, anybody who saw it would have seen


instantly they were in trouble and needed treatment. As Peter on the


left was pictured running down the pitch to save people, professional


ambulance staff failed to immediately declare a major


incident. This was a ground, the jury decided, that even before the


game just was not safe. Sheffield Wednesday said football grounds have


now changed. Rod Smith was part of the safety investigation team after


the disaster. Within half an hour of walking around the ground, I saw so


many obvious deficiencies that did not need rules to tell you it was


deficient, because common sense would have told you, that is


dangerous, that needs to be, something needs to be done about


that. Those there that day who did help, it stays with them. There were


two guys at the front and I was convinced they had died. Their eyes


rolled up into their heads and I thought they had gone. It was not


until I went to Warrington afterwards I found out they both


survive. You only found out at the inquest? I went 25 years without


knowing. A lot of people are injured and some are very concerned for


their friends. Tony Romo as those they help, more than one dozen and


those he could not save. -- remembers those. I picked him up and


carried him in my arms. I was pinching his ear and talking to him


and telling him I hope someone is waiting for him up in heaven. I


never found out where they were. It was so upsetting to know, because


most of the people, I know their names. The inquest at Warrington


coroner 's Court lasted for two years, the longest legal proceedings


in British legal history. As well as the inquest there are two separate


criminal investigations now into the Hillsborough disaster. After the


decision by the jury the 96 fans were unlawfully killed very and


expectation now there will be criminal charges. -- killed


unlawfully and there is an expectation now.


It's another "Super Tuesday" of voting in the United States.


Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are expected to increase


their respective leads in the Democratic and Republican


races for the presidential nominations in the latest


Voting is taking place in five north-eastern states,


Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, Connecticut


Polls close in just under six hours time, with results


Let's go to a polling station in Maryland.


Laura Bicker is at Westland middle school in Bethesda.


All north-eastern states. First, the Democratic race, how soon might this


all be sewn up? In the next 24 hours for Hillary Clinton she will hope


that it will certainly be clear that she will be on a path to the


nomination. Bernie Sanders, his language in the last few days has


changed ever so slightly. He said at the start he was going to take this


all the way to the Democratic convention floor in July. The other


day he said, we will take it to the all the primaries at the end of


June. He talked about the effect he has had on Hillary Clinton's


campaign. For example, in the last two Daisy has brought in a new


campaign advert, similar to Bernie Sanders, it has music and talks


about her with love and kindness. It sees in a more human light, hugging


and talking to voters. That is the kind of image she is trying to


project. And as she goes up against the Republican Dominik Kohr whoever


that is, that is what she will try and get across. -- Republican


nominee, whoever that is. Hillary Clinton can come across as quite


unpopular. Certainly among Bernie Sanders voters. They will say, maybe


we will not vote rather than vote for Hillary Clinton. She could have


a battle ahead even if she gets the nomination in the next 24 hours. And


Mr Trump's path remains a little more uncertain for the Republicans.


We are still watching and waiting. We have pens and paper 's and it is


like sitting a maths exam. That is what it comes down to. Donald Trump


needs 1237 delegates in his pocket. He is getting closer to the finish


but it is not clear he will get there. In the next 24 hours he might


edge a little closer. That is because polling suggests he is way


ahead in all five states. But as we have seen, Ted Cruz, John Basic,


they are trying to pull resources and look at states where they might


persuade voters who may go one way or the other to vote for the


candidate who has the most chance of winning. Will it work? It plays into


the narrative of Donald Trump. He said the contest, the Republican


contest is rigged. And by colluding together, in his words, certainly it


looks like it plays into his hands. We will have to watch and see how


any delegates he gets and how much closer it gets into the magic


number. Laura, thank you very much, in Melligan. -- Maryland. We will


bring it all together for you live from Washington and then we will


have the results on our bulletins from midnight tonight.


30 years ago today, a disaster was unfolding on the western edge


A meltdown at the Chernobyl reactor in what is now Ukraine,


blew off its roof and sent a cloud of radioactive


About 30 people died in the initial accident,


but the United Nations estimates that thousands could ultimately be


Chernobyl isn't just a historic event for Ukraine.


The disaster for which the president led tributes today still affects


And it has shaped government policy and our opinions of nuclear safety.


Anger is growing in the West over the way the Russians


The picture showed damage to the corner of only one


building and no evidence of any continuing fire.


The Soviet authorities' attempt to cover up


the leakage of radioactive material ultimately failed.


And probably sped up the downfall of the Soviet Union.


Andrei, a worker at Chernobyl, heard the explosions.


But he only knew it was something serious when he saw


You could see the bright light in the place where


And I realised it was the glowing core of the reactor.


Then I think I fully realised that it was not an accident,


Even now the city next to the plant, built for the workers


and their families, is an eerie reminder.


And toys and shoes at the nursery, left behind when a whole population


You can see the beds where the children could sleep


And then round here is the play area.


The fact that so many things in an entire city have barely been


touched for 30 years gives you a sense of how unique


But 180 people, including Valentina, and her dog Dana,


still live in Chernobyl's 30 kilometre exclusion zone.


TRANSLATION: Our family was scattered all over Ukraine.


But my husband and I decided that staying here was best.


This multi-million pound international project to build


a giant shield over the reactor, so a huge amount of radio


material still inside can be removed, continues.


The legacy of the Chernobyl disaster is very real 30 years on.


Now a look at some of the day's other news...


Mitsubishi Motors has said it has used fuel consumption tests that


broke Japanese rules, for the past 25 years.


The admission follows last week's revelation that it had falsified


fuel economy data for four "minicar" models, sold only in Japan.


It means many more models may have used fuel tests that did not comply


The sister of the musician Prince has said that he has


Tyka Nelson has requested that a special administrator be appointed


to oversee his estate in order to manage the late star's


Prince died at the age of 57 on Thursday at his estate


A Dutchman who became known as the "horror dentist"


in the French media has been jailed for eight years, for deliberately


mutilating the mouths of more than 100 patients.


Jacobus van Nierop ripped out healthy teeth and left dozens


of patients with injuries including broken jaws, abscesses


His victims from the small central town of Chateau-Chinon came together


From Paris, Lucy Williamson has more.


For years he was hiding behind a white coast. The man nicknamed the


dentist of horror entered court for the last time, still hiding. He had


been sent to save the teeth of villagers and instead he drugged his


patience and mutilated them while they slept in his chair. Among these


villagers he spread pain and injury, ripping out healthy teeth, breaking


jaws. One woman said she lost eight teeth in a single appointment and


was left gushing lard. Nicole led the campaign to bring him to court.


She went in for a simple filling and left without two teeth. TRANSLATION:


There were various different cases, including burst glands, sinuses,


cheeks stitched the guns and dressings and dentist tools left


inside guns. When we checked we were under anaesthetic for up to six


hours and we were unconscious. Nicole was among those at the


hearing to hear the verdict. Guilty of aggravated assault and fraud. The


sentence of eight years in prison and a fine of 10,000 euros. He


believed he was above the law, a lawless man. Now he learns French


law exist, as he has been sentenced to eight years. We are happy because


we thought he would get less. Prosecutors said that Jacobus van


Nierop enjoyed causing pain but also he was financially motivated,


claiming insurance for procedures is patients did not need. At his trial


he said he was not interested in people and could not remember his


patients. As one of them remarked after the verdict today, he will


have time to think about us now. Lots more on all of those stories on


the BBC website and I am on Twitter. From me and the rest of the team,


thank you for being with us.


Download Subtitles