Episode 3 Remembrance Week

Episode 3

Similar Content

Browse content similar to Episode 3. Check below for episodes and series from the same categories and more!



This Sunday is Remembrance Sunday, and all week we will be hairg the


heroic and courageous stories, in honour of the men and women who


have given their lives, both here and in past conflicts around the


world, this is remembrance - This Sunday is Remembrance Sunday,


the Kay - day we honour those who have given their lives for their


country. In the lead up to this National Service of Remembrance, we


hear the real stories of the people who march past the Cenotaph at


Whitehall. Coming up on today's programme, an


RAF firefighter battles the biggest blaze of his life. I can remember


stand standing in the middle of the stand storm, by myself, thinking I


have all my boys and girls here. Brothers, Ernie and Len remember


their adventures as merchant seamen. On the first day the last ships


were sunk. I get manhandled here in Afghanistan. Search through the


hair feeling for anything that shouldn't be there.


Not everyone remembers the Aden emergency, but for one soldier in


particular, it is a conflict he will never forget. In 1961, Brian


Bryson never expected to go to war, let alone return a hero. But aged


just 19 he decided to join the Royal Army Service Corps.


training could be fun, at times, other times it was very serious,


but you had to work hard, marching up and down, trying to be soldiers!


I chose driving rather than infantry. It wasn't just driving a


vehicle, you had to learn how to maintain it, how to strip parts


down, and you drove different vehicles, took your driving test


and that was you. You were then qualified.


In 19678, Brian's regiment was posted - 1967, Brian's regiment was


posted to Aden, known now as Yemen. I remember stepping off the plane


when we got to Aden, very hot, 8.00pm, it was dark. We knew it was


a hot place and in the Middle East, we knew what we were going in for.


The British Government declared that'den would become independent


by 1968. But as our troops began to withdraw, local unrest erupted


between rival factions, as they fought to gain control. You didn't


know the enemy, they didn't have a uniform, they could be down the


side of the road, you didn't know. Under this constant threat, Brian


still had a job to do, which was helping to build new roads, so


local people could transport their goods to market.


We worked with the royal engineers that were there, when they went out,


we would then supply the wagons, ten-en toers to go out with them -


ten tonneers, to go out with them, so when they were blasting through


the rock they would put it on the back of the wagons, we would take


it and dump it somewhere. That was basically what you done, you


finished about 2.00pm, happy days. At night, when the troops relax,


they weren't too bothered about the odd pot shot from the enemy. There


was one night when we were watching a warry film, there was all the


shooting going about, I said the shooting is getting a bit real now,


I said there was bullet holes in the screen. We carried on watching


the film. They were useless shots any way, most of the time. This


would dramatically change when a simple mission went wrong for one


of Brian's comrades. Travelling in convoy Brian and his


team were making their way across open desert. I was walking and I


was maybe 10, 15 yards away, next thing I heard was a big whomph, I


spun round and looked at the Land Rover which was lifted into the air.


The front wheel disappeared over the horizon, never saw that again.


It all went very, very quiet. only person in the vehicle was the


driver, Tony Fenemer, known simply as Brummie. I looked back at the


Land Rover and I thought, where's Brummie. So I don't know, I just


ran to the Land Rover. From the position that he should have been


sitting in, the force of the explosion had put him across the


front of the Land Rover seats. That's when I saw what his injuries


were. Brummie was unconscious, and his left arm was severely damaged.


As the first person on the scene, Brian did all he could to help him.


We carried a first aid kit, bandages, I gave him morphine as


well. You are saving a fellow human being and soldier. The medic came


over, and the two of them they got a stretcher, took him out of the


Land Rover, and then they just took him away. Brummie was airlifted to


hospital, where his arm had to be amputated. It would be great to


think that maybe I did help save his life in that instant. Just a


couple of weeks later, Brian was able to check up on his patient.


And I said what are you going to do, he said, he's going to drive


lorries. I said oh, he said he will have his golden arm, his golden


trigger and he will be driving lorries. That was what he was like.


Beginning of June 1967, that was the last time I ever saw him.


Brummie has still got that cheeky sense of humour, and 44 years on,


he's finally on his way to meet Brian, the man who helped save his


life. Whatever happened, that day, that


week, or two weeks before, has been shut away. Because I don't remember


even the build-up to it. Just that drive through, that is all I


remember. I need the gaps to be Did you get to drive that lorry?


Yes. If it wasn't for you, and what you


are going to tell me. Thank you for surviving. I was determined to


survive. Thank you. I wouldn't have changed it, you were one of mine,


it was a pleasure,s if great to see him again.


I think it is important that the younger generation realise what


Remembrance is all about. It is not just parading with Stards and


laying poppy wreaths, because every pop y... Represents blood, given by


the men and women of this country, in conflicts throughout the years,


we should never, ever forget that. One of the reasons our troops are


in Afghanistan, is to gradually allow the local communities take


responsibility for their own security. One of the ways they are


doing this, is by mentoring the Afghan police.


I'm on my way out of Camp Bastion, to a police headquarters, located


near a village called ping ping - Pinkalay, in Helmand Province.


Today an initiative is nearing completion, that has helped bring


greater security to the local people. This headquarters is the


hub of British army efforts in the area.


Captain Giles Walsh leads a dedicated team of British mentors


who live and work alongside the Afghan police.


Tell me what your role is here? aim of myself and my team is to


provide development to the police, so that when we eventually withdraw


in 2014, they will be able to stand on their own two legs and be self-


sufficient and survive themselves. Since you have been here, how have


you seen this area change for the better? A year ago, there was


fighting in the streets of Pinkalay, and now, the police can walk around,


unarmed, and they are very much central to the local community.


British military have been passing on their expertise to the Afghan


security forces since 2009. One of the most important, yet basic


lessons they teach, is how to conduct an effective search. A lot


of the bomb making equipment is moved in by local, hidden on their


person. We are improving the capability of the police to uncover


these component parts. These hidden components can be anything from a


length of wire, to a battery. Finding them before they can make


their way into a bomb can save lives.


I have been asked to help Lance Corporal James Alldread, and I may


have a little surprise up my sleeve. Just give you a quick demonstration


on how to search someone. Search through his hair, feel through his


scalp for anything you can feel there. Smooth down, not a pat down.


Every crease and fold just be meticulously searched. That is the


top half, now the bottom half, searching there. Obviously we found


something. What is that Just a bit of wire for farming I'm doing.


kind of farming? Sheep warming? Sheep farming with wire. The story


doesn't add up, we take that from him, that will go in plastic bag.


It's training exercises like these that will prepare the Afghan forces


for when the British leave in 2014. These newly trained policemen


operate from ten road side checkpoints. They are critical for


security, preventing the free movement of insurgent fighters and


suicide bombers. There is only one way of finding out what the


checkpoints are really like, that is by going to see them myself.


Which is exactly what I'm going to do now.


As soon as we leave the gates of the compound, which have - which we


have just done, basically anything can happen. For the troops who make


this journey every day, this may seem routine, for me it is deeply


unnerving. It is when you start going off


beyond the realms of the main service routes that it actually


starts to get a bit dicey. We're seen as the outsiders, that we are


always going to be targeted,en to extent. We have arrived at Check


Point Sapan, it is being built to protect the local village and


farming community. Getting out the back of that


vehicle was weird, it is a real sense of reality. It is a real


situation. Everyone here is aware of where they are. Hello. Nice to


meet you. Just the final snagging done today, and should be complete


in ten days. The men based here will search


suspect vehicles and individuals. This is one of many checkpoints


that the Afghan National Police are taking over throughout Helmand


Province. This checkpoint is like a fortress, it is a real statement,


one to the insurgents, to say stay away from us, and secondly, and


most importantly, it is to say to the local people that we are here


for you, and we are going to look out for you and keep you safe and


secure. Whilst we have made good progress,


there is still a significant way to go before they are ready to take


over by themselves. It is very fulfiling just seeing the police


are willing to actually improve themselves and are keen to develop.


Getting medical help to injured troops, in any war zone, is vital,


and it was no different during World War II, when a group of


courageous men and women were risking their lives to get help to


others. And one of these amazing women, was


88-year-old Lillian West, who like her comrades, had one priority.


make sure we would get them back to fight again for their country.


In 1944, RAF nurse Lillian volunteered to join the air


ambulance, which would send her straight into the heart of occupied


Europe. I mean I had never been abroad


before, I had never been out of Wales before. And then to go to


France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, well, well, a young girl of 19, who


was I going to see? A Frenchman? was an extraordinary step for this


ordinary girl from Wales. It is now or never! I have signed, I have to


go, that was it. Went in and got kitted out, got my trousers on, got


my flying jacket, and everything else what I had to do. Lillian and


the crew flew in unmarked Dakotas, flying to the frontline meant they


were always in danger. My, we were shot at, the Germans shot at us. It


was frightening, but there was nothing we could do. We were


thinking, oh my God, if they do a direct hit, what will happen to us


now. They try to fly as level as possible, because of the injured.


Because if you have a Stuka coming after you, you had to dive, and


that was it. With limited medical supplies, the nurses had to care


for the wounded as best they could. That was all we could do. We


escorted them from the battlefield, give them comfort, whatever was


needed, until they reached England. One orderly per plane, that was our


job. With thousands of injured troops needing the aid, the job was


often relentless. We flew night and day, there was nothing for it, you


see. You had to go from England in the morning, four hours, five hours,


to get to Germany, then get loaded and get back, it was eight to ten


hours. We had no parachute, no nothing, we were not allowed to


carry a parachute, because the plane if it went down we had to


stay with the patients. Lillian's first flight across the


channel would be her most memorable. When the pilot delivered unnerving


news. Hold tight, he said, we have a burst tyre, landing. Don't worry,


it's already he says he knows what he was doing, he z but he crash


landed. The plane landed in a French field, thankfully all the


crew were safe. He said, we can't take her back, we will have to wait


for replacements. Lillian was stranded for a week, when she


returned home, her family were surprised. My mother said, it's you


is it. I said, yes, why? She said we had a telegram to say you were


missing presumed dead in France. Oh, I said I'm alive, I said, it's all


right. I said I think I am! wasn't long before Lillian was back


on duty, and caring for critically injured men. Head injuries, chest


injuries, broken arms. Shrapnel through the bodies, you would never


believe what some of our boys went through. You would never believe it.


But Lillian and her comrades also added a personal touch. We used to


write for them, if they wanted a letter, you know, just would you


write a few lines for us, and get them posted or anything like that.


I used to think, if some poor mother's son, or some woman's


husband. You had to feel sorry for them, there is nothing else for it.


Just pray to God that I could get them back safe. This courageous


group became known as the Flying Nigtingales, the first air born


medal evacuation service - air bourne medical evacuation service.


We brought back 100,000 between us all. For Lillian, it is a job she


will always look back on with immense pride. It was a tough job.


But there you are. They were other people had tougher jobs. The boys


had tougher jobs with fighting, weren't they.


I was serving my king and country. If I was young again I would go


back and do the same thing again. Still to come, we join a school


outing, as they visit the hub of remembrance in Edinburgh.


It is important to remember all the people that sacrificed their lives


and still sacrifice their lives today. When a fire starts in the UK,


you pick up the phone and dial 999, out here, in a war zone, in the


middle of the desert, it is not so straight forward. For 34 years,


Steve Bowden has been a Royal Air Force firefighter. An RAF


firefighter is a special breed of individual. We do the same as


civilian firefighters, but the main focus is the rescue of air crew,


that is what we do 24/7. Formed after the Second World War in 1945,


RAF firefighters have been saving lives around the world.


And out in Afghanistan, they work closely with our American allies.


It is a case of helping each other out, because there is only them,


and there is only us, and that's it, there is no 99, nobody will come -


999, nobody will come screaming around the corner in a big red


lorry. In April 2010, Steve was based in Camp Bastion, when a call


came through that would test his nerve and skill to the limit.


particular evening I had my evening meal and was in the Internet cabin


making contact with home, when one of my firefighters came and said


you better come and have a look at this boss.


The fire had started in Camp Leatherneck, an American base,


located a couple of miles outside Camp Bastion. And this is actually


what Steve saw. The plume could be seen for two miles or more. When


you see that A smoke, you know, as they say, it's a goer.


It is a firefighters' worst nightmare, because you have no idea


what you are going in to. After summoning the team, Steve was the


first on the scene. There was an American colleague I touched base


with, who was starting to give information of what was in there.


Which went from dried goods, storage boxes, oxygen cylinders,


petrol, oil and lubricants in containers, and stuff stacked on


top of stuff. Not only is it that way but up as well. A strong wind


was developing quickly, turning the fire into an inferno.


The wind carried it on, and it was just setting fire to everything all


the way along the line. The harsh conditions, that time of year,


don't help because the sun, the climate, the wind, dries everything


out, fabrics, wood, it is all tinter box dry. Soofr an arriving,


they faced a main prob - soon after arriving, they faced a major


problem, the water supply ran out. It is not the best time in my life,


dealing with a fire and you have nothing to do. The danger was


mounting as the fire was raging out of control. By then people were


coming up and tapping me on theer saying, by the way, we have this in


there as well, and you might want to know there is fuel on there as


well, there is a little fuel farm here. All of this is going on while


you are standing there with no water.


Finally water arrived from nearby sources. But the danger to our


troops on the ground was becoming an alarming reality.


We had to make sure people were getting away for their own safety,


it was becoming blatantly obvious there was a lot of stuff in there


dangerous. Tyres going up and down in the air, as with the


firefighters, and the oxygen cylinders, exploding, going up in


the air. You have no idea where they are going to land, that is


frightening. Whilst the fuel out of the 45 gallon drums will have gone,


the 45 gallon drum weighs a lot, if that hits you on the no nogin you


know about it. 45 minutes later another catastrophy struck.


60knot duststorm came through the whole area. You couldn't see your


hand in front of your face. The wind then changed and some of the


accommodation, which our American colleagues were in, is tented


accommodation, that started to catch fire as well, people had to


be evacuated. Areas that weren't on fire, sort of got themselves


involved in the fire by mother nature. That wind, was taking all


the embers across Leatherneck and Bastion, it became too dangerous to


do anything, we withdrew, that was not an easy decision for any of us


to take. There is certainly a moment when I knew it was beating


us. You think, what now? What will they give me now, what's next. To


have no water, a sandstorm, limited resources, I mean, three of your


worst nightmares. But with the fire now covering the area of three


football pitches, Steve had even bigger concerns. I can remember


standing in the middle of the sandstorm, by myself, thinking I


don't know if I have all my boys and girls here.


We actually really got control of it, I guess, about 11.30, midnight.


It is still going like a good'un, it is raging, but we have it where


we want it. You just can't imagine You just couldn't imagine that 16


hours we were here fighting this fire. Against all odds, Steve, his


38 RAF firefighters and their American colleagues, tackled the


blaze without a single loss of life. The team work between, not only my


own firefighters, but the United States marine firefighters,


outstanding, we don't see it as them and us, it is us. That is what


enabled us to win that fight. Wherever you are in the world,


whatever nationality, a firefighter is a firefighter, I'm just one of


them. In the clear light of day, the


extent of the devastation was obvious. And the actions of Steve


and his team didn't go unnoticed by the general of the American marine


cops. We could have had catastrophic loss of life, because


of the way you fought that fire, we lost nobody. I can buy new things,


but I can't buy new people. There is no doubt the efforts of Steve


and his team - there is no doubt the efforts of Steve and his team


that night saved people. I have been a firefighter for 45 years,


that fire at Camp Leatherneck was the biggest, and it is the biggest


the fire force has fought in its history. On returning home Steve


was awarded the Queen's Gallantry Medal. I wear it with, not just for


those 38 people, but the fire service as a whole, past and


present. During the Second World War, it


wasn't just the Royal Navy patrolling the oceans, there was


another group of courageous seamen, without whom Britain would have


struggled to survive. Brothers Len and Ernie, grew up


around the Bristol docks, and it sparked a lifelong love of the


ocean. A friend went off to sea, and he


came back, and he had a lovely plastic belt, red, yellow and black,


he said he bought it in America, I wanted to get one of those, I threw


my job in and went on to the Norwegian ship, at 15, in 141.


Len decided to join the war effort, and signed up with the Norwegian


Merchant Navy, which, alongside ships from other nations, supplied


Britain with vital goods during the war. The Merchant Navy brought all


supplies of everything, fuel, gasoline, food, ammunition,


whatever was needed, was brought to this country by the Merchant Navy.


But for a boy who had never left home before, Len's first experience


at sea was hard. We settled early, so the family never saw me go. I


went to the lifeboat that evening, and cried my eyes out, I was home


sick, I felt sick and I had a hole in my sock. What was in front of us


I never knew, I never knew what the sea could be like, on the North


Atlantic, and all those huge seas. The biggest seas we had seen was on


the beach. Len soon found his sea legs and returned three months


later with a different look. I had a stetson hat, a big jacket, and


lumber Jack boots, I had. And 15 years of age, I must have looked


real stupid! It wasn't long before Ernie followed in his brother's


footsteps. The conditions were tough. Our first trip it was


horrendous ways, there was valleys and mountains. The ship would dive


down into the valley, stick in, and then go up on to the wave and down


we would go again. That went on for three weeks. My first job was an


officers' mess boy, I had to be up at 5.30am, and take coffee to the


bridge, and take the coffee down, and then I would have to help with


the breakfast, help with the galley, they were hard times, but we


survived. That is why Norwegian captains always ask for Bristol


boys, because we were tough and very efficient in what we done. We


didn't cause much trouble. Although they carried essential


cargo, Merchant Navy ships had little protection against the enemy.


We didn't realise what it was like at sea, people don't know, they


knew nothing about the Merchant Navy. We had naval ships, they were


there to protect us, they had the speed and the guns, we had one old


gun on the stern, from the First World War, and one gunner, I


suppose the merchant seamen were supposed to help with that. As they


sailed unprotected through the Atlantic, the convoys were subject


to the huge risk of attack from German u boats. You would have to


go through - U-boats. You would have to go through three or four


lines of U-boats, they were in an arc. That was all that worried


Churchill, in the battle for the Atlantic. One thing would bring


home the constant danger they faced every time they set sail. In 1942


we were sailing on our own through the Gulf of Mexico, because the


Americans wouldn't do escorts. a couple of weeks into their three-


month voyage, they were torpedoed. I went across the bridge, and I


bumped my head, back on the wheel, they stayed on the wheel. Ernie was


in the cabin down below. It was about 6.00am. 5.00am. Time dims


your memory. I remember a great big explosion, next thing I was thrown


out of my top bunk, and on my mate in the bottom bunk ofg was on top


of me, we had bleeding from the ears and nose. Order prevailed and


we took off with the submarine chasing us for one hour. As we are


getting close to the Mississippi Delta they gave up. Crossing the


waters was treacherous, on the up side, they were seeing the world.


Going into New York and seeing all the skyscrapers, we had never seen


those before, and walking through Manhatten, into times Syntagma


Sqare, and seeing the Camel Cigarette advert blowing out great


terrific. New Orleans, that was a good time. I remember getting a


great big piece of water mellon, five cents, I had never seen it


before, it was great. You had to sit on the long tables with this


water mellon round our ears, chewing away, beautiful.


And travelling around the globe meant the temptation to bring home


souvenirs was too great for Len. bought chairs back from Africa, a


monkey back, and carpets from india, all the stuff I used to buy. One I


am I had a whole tea chest full of food, and a Christmas cake from New


York. Granddad had some of the cake it was too rich for him, nearly


killed him. But like all merchant seamen, Len and Ernie were away for


months on end, coming home was always special for their mother.


She rushed down, and give us a cuddle. We didn't realise how much


she missed us, a mother's love is so much in that. Especially if your


two youngest sons and that. After we came back after being torpedos,


she said thank God, you are not going back again are you? We said,


yes, we are. Despite the crucial role the Merchant Navy played


during the war, its work was widely overlooked. We had the biggest


Merchant Navy at the beginning of the war, from the first day to the


last day, ships were sunk. I think the last ship was torpedoed about


10.45am. Over 2,000 merchant ships were lost, the Navy lost 200. Life


as a merchant seaman was rough. People did not appreciate it, we


just had one little badge, the officers had their uniform,


otherwise you were not known, they thought you were stragglers, sort


of thing, not doing your part. But we had some terrible experiences,


and lost a lot of friends, lots of friends. 30,000 merchant seamen


lost their lives, but without their contribution, Britain may never


have won the war. For Len and Ernie, their team as sea farers will


always have faegs time in their hearts. I Sir - a special time in


their hearts. I Sir come-and-a-half gailted the world, beautiful ship,


beautiful comrades. I enjoyed every day of it, even cold, wet, tired,


wonderful life. The poppy is the ultimate symbol of


remembrance, and there is a group of veterans who work throughout the


year to make their own personal contribution.


The Lady Haig Poppy Factory in Edinburgh was established in 1946,


and employed veterans of the British Armed Forces. Lady Haig


decided to set up the factory to provide Scottish poppies for


Scottish families. She started off with four men in a hut, by 1928 she


was employing over 100 men. factory's founder put her own


personal mark on what has become an iconic symbol of remembrance.


Because lady Hague designed the original pop - Lady Haig designed


the original poppies, her design was slightly different from down


south. We have tried to continue that design difference over the


generations. It is four-leafed rather than three, it is crimped


rather than smoothed, it is a brighter material and doesn't have


the green leaf the English one does. Uniquely the factory gives ex-


servicemen and women, some of whom are disabled, the chance to work.


It is incredibly important to offer employment to people that have worn


uniform for their country, and made sacrifices themselves, and have


struggled to find employment. has been part of the team for over


five years, and for him, the factory is much more than just a


place of work: I love the job, I love it, I know that every poppy I


make could be a pound. For the war heros and things like


that. Lots of the equipment we use is very old and quite basic, it is


deliberately quite old and basic, because we want to employ as many


ex-servicemen as we possibly could, we could automate processes, that


would mean getting rid of the people we employ, that is not what


we want to do. It is actually an old printing press, which I believe


is between 100 and 150 years old. Andy operates one of the oldest


machines in the factory, cutting hundreds of silk petals every day.


I think the best thing about working here is the camaraderie, it


is very much like a family. It is an excellent place to work. It is


almost like therapy. Colin operates the petal crimping machine, and has


worked at the factory for two years. Having served with the 3rd


Battalion The Rifles, he finds himself with a new set of comrades.


People sell you the service sense of humour is different, and a lot


of us here wouldn't be in open employment, working here gets you


out of the house, gets you working, brings home a wage, plus you have


good fun with the guys as well. Every wreath and every poppy we


make is made by hand. And every one is made with great care and a great


eye for quality. The factory is open all year round to ensure they


are able to meet the demands for the annual Scottish Poppy Appeal.


We make 5.1 million poppies a year, we make about 28,000-long stemmed


poppies. 10,000 wreaths a year. We also make the wooden crosses that


people plant in the Garden of Remembrance each year. The factory


opens its doors to visitors, which includes hundreds of schoolchildren.


The veterans enjoy sharing their war stories, as well as teaching


them the importance of the poppy. think it is really important that


the children come here to visit the factory for a number of reasons.


They need to learn a little about the horrors of the First World War,


and that history needs to be kept alive. Touring the factory and


meeting the veterans is a real eye- opener for the younger generation.


It is fun coming to the Poppy Factory, because we come down and


get to make loads of poppies. enjoyed making all those poppies,


and also meeting all the ex- servicemen. They have been selling


us some stories about why they are here and how things work and


everything, it is really interesting.


My favourite part about coming here is probably listening to the


stories and making poppies. It is important for the children to come


round, and can see men who have actually been in wars, like Ireland,


and Afghanistan, even, and you have got to keep rembering. It is


important to remember all the people that sacrificed their lives


and still sacrifice their lives today to help give us the free


country we have. I really did enjoy today, coming and learning about


what they have to do, and what really the poppy means to Scotland


and Britain. Remembrance means to me that eventhough people are still


fighting today, and people have died, that just to remember them,


because they have been fighting for the country and they are really


important. Poppy Scotland, the charity mind the Poppy Factory,


uses the funds raised to give money back to the Armed Forces community.


Poppy Scotland will help absolutely anybody who is a member of the


Armed Forces community. It could be somebody coming back from


Afghanistan, a World War II veteran, their family and one of their


dependants. We are making a difference to individuals who


otherwise would be left aside. Poppy Scotland is there to support


them whatever and whenever that need may be. Thanks to the


generosity of the public, 2010 was a record-breaking year for the


Scottish Poppy Appeal. This year we raised �2.34 million. It is the


first time we have raised over �2 million through the tins. That


allows us to improve somebody's quality of life. Every pound you


are putting into the poppy tin to buy a Scottish poppy, that poppy is


hand made in Scotland by a Scottish veteran. I'm incredibly proud of


being involved in the factory, it is a unique organisation, and we


are a real power for good in the sector in which we operate.


It is fantastic and happy place to work, it does terrific good work.


I really do enjoy it. I have never been so happy in a long time.


definitely like a family, there is no getting away from that. It is


lovely. I'm very, very proud of it, very proud. I hope it goes on


Gethin Jones is in Afghanistan to honour those that have fought there as well as reflecting on all the other servicemen and women who have taken part in past conflicts around the world.

Download Subtitles